Darren Sproles is a retired American football player who currently works as an executive with the Philadelphia Eagles, the last team he played for in his career. The Iowa native had an above-average career that saw him win one Super Bowl and gain three Pro Bowl selections among other achievements. As a result of what he earned during his playing career that lasted from 2005 to 2019, and his subsequent work as a personnel consultant, Sproles has an estimated net worth of $30 million.
Profile Summary of Darren Sproles
- Full Name: Darren Lee Sproles
- Date of Birth: June 20, 1983
- Place of Birth: Waterloo, Iowa
- Zodiac Sign: Gemini
- Nationality: American
- Height: 5 feet 6 inches (1.68 m)
- Weight: 86 kg (190 lbs)
- Education: Olathe North (Olathe, Kansas), Kansas State (2001–2004)
- Darren Sproles Net Worth: $30 Million
- Sexual Orientation: Straight
- Marital Status: Married
- Darren Sproles Wife: Michel Hunt (m. 2010)
- Children: Three Daughters (including Devyn and Rhyan)
- Parents: Annette and Larry Sproles
- Instagram: dsproles43
Darren Sproles Became a Millionaire From His Salary in the NFL
After Darren Sproles’ four-year stint at Kansas State University where he played college football and notably came fifth in Heisman Trophy voting in his junior year, he was drafted to the NFL by the San Diego Chargers. His first professional contract was a four-year deal worth $1.777 million. At the expiration of that deal in 2009, he signed a one-year $6.621 million franchise tag with the Chargers.
Sproles re-signed with the team in 2010 for $7.2813 million but moved on in 2011 when he signed a four-year $14 million contract ($6 million guaranteed) with the New Orleans Saints. The running back and returned specialist showed his new team he was the real deal as he went on to break the NFL record for most single-season all-purpose yardage with 2,696 yards. He further recorded career highs with 603 yards rushing (6.9 yards per carry) and 710 yards receiving and a combined total of 9 touchdowns in his first year as a Saint.
View this post on Instagram
In 2014, Darren Sproles found himself on the move again. He was acquired by the Philadelphia Eagles and he signed a three-year $10.5 million deal. At the end of his first year in Phili, Sproles earned his first All-Pro team selections as he was named second-team All-Pro as a return specialist. The running back continued to perform all through the years and so in 2016, he was rewarded with a one-year $4.5 million contract. He would renew with the team in the subsequent years, $1.33 million in 2018 and $1.4 million in 2019.
The Running Back Called Time on His Career After the 2019 Season
In 2019 when Darren Sproles re-signed with the Eagles on a one-year contract, he suffered a partially torn right hip flexor muscle injury after week five. Sproles would go on to miss three games before returning in week 9, however, he aggravated the injury which then ruled him out for the rest of the season. The athlete was subsequently placed on injured reserve before he opted to retire from the NFL at the end of the year.
The Eagles were not entirely willing to let go of Sproles after he called time on his playing career as they offered him a role as an executive. The team hired Darren, who has the Eagles franchise record for most career punt return touchdowns, as a personnel consultant in the football operations department.
Darren Sproles is Happily Married to Michel Hunt
- Date of Birth: 29 November 1983
- Place of Birth: Los Angeles, California, United States
- Husband: Married Darren Sproles in 2010
- Children: Two Daughters (Devyn and Rhyan Sproles)
- Instagram: michelsproles
Michel Hunt has been described as the outspoken wife of Darren Sproles because she never holds back in fear of being politically correct or saying the wrong things. Hunt instead always speaks her mind even if it gets her in trouble with fans or team executives. She would always defend her husband no matter the situation. One time, she called out the New Orleans Saints front office for their intention to trade her husband without notifying him. This was after he had sacrificed a lot for the team and also invested in the community.
Michel became a member of the Sproles family in 2010. She and Darren had dated for a few years after they were introduced to each other by a mutual friend. They were said to have maintained a relationship over the phone for about two months before getting to meet in person. After making things official between them, their union has been blessed with two daughters; Devyn Annette Sproles and Rhyan Leigh Sproles.
Michel Hunt is no stranger to the world of sport as she is a former professional track athlete. Mrs. Sproles, who was born on the 29th of November, 1983 in Los Angeles, California, ran track for 14 years before hanging up her cleats. She now works as a girls’ track coach and certified image consultant. She is also an entrepreneur who does some philanthropic work on the side.
Other Facts About Darren Sproles
- Darren Sproles graduated with a degree in Speech Pathology before heading to the NFL. He was drafted 130th overall by the San Diego Chargers in the 2005 NFL Draft.
- Darren’s father Larry Sproles was a college athlete. He played as a running back for the MidAmerica Nazarene University.
- The athlete’s mother, Annette, passed away in April 2004 after a long battle with cancer. Coincedianetally, Sproles’ wife is a breast cancer survivor. She underwent a double mastectomy followed by reconstructive surgery.
- The running back is the first player in NFL history with 2,200+ all-purpose yards in 4 different seasons (2008–2011). He is currently ranked 5th in career all-purpose yards (19,696 yards) in league history.